A laser carbon facial is a fast painless way to improve the look of your skin by reducing imperfections, tightening pores and eliminating impurities such as blackheads. Also known as the ‘China Doll Peel’, it requires virtually no downtime and is highly effective in treating the following skin imperfections:
• Enlarged pores
• Blocked pores
• Acne and acne scars
• Pigmentation and hyperpigmentation
• Dull skin
• Fine lines and wrinkles
• Melasma (dark patches)
Chemical peels can also treat these conditions, but the advantage of a laser peel is that the procedure uses heat rather than chemicals and requires no downtime. In addition, a chemical peel often causes more reddening and irritation, especially to those with sensitive skin or conditions such as eczema.
How it works
Before treatment, we will double cleanse the skin of all makeup, creams and lotions. A layer of liquid carbon is then applied and will penetrate deep into your pores. As the carbon dries, it will attach to dirty, oil and dead skin cells. Once completely dry, we will provide you with protective eye shields and proceed with the laser. The light emitted by the laser is attracted to the carbon particles. As the laser passes over the skin, the carbon absorbs the light energy, causing it to vaporize, along with any dirt, oil or dead skin cells. You will hear an audible ‘crack’ when this happens, but it’s nothing to worry about. Meanwhile, the laser also heats up the subdermal laser, activating your natural healing
mechanisms. This boosts cell regeneration, boosting collagen and plumping fine lines.
Immediately after the treatments, you should see a brightening of the skin, and it will feel smoother and softer than before. Over the following weeks and months, you will notice changes in the tone, firmness and radiance of your skin which will continue to improve with your course of treatments. Carbon facials do not provide permanent results; therefore, we recommend 3-6 treatments over a period of 2-3 months, with a booster treatment every 6 months. We will discuss the individual requirements for your skin in your consultation.
Do carbon facials hurt?
During the procedure, you may experience some warm and tingling while the laser zaps away the layer of carbon.
Caring for your Treatment
Before the treatment:
- Do not tan or use self-tanning products for 4 weeks prior to treatment. This includes sun exposure, tanning beds, spray tans and tanning lotions.
- Avoid any treatments that might irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to your facial. This includes waxing, depilatories etc.
- Let us know if you have any changes to medications or your health prior to any treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores or herpes, you may require an anti-viral prescription prior to your carbon facial if treating in the area that breakouts occur.
After the treatment:
You may experience some redness after treatment, but this will clear up within a few hours and can be soothed with a gentle moisturiser or aloe vera gel. We will discuss suitable products at your consultation. We will also recommend:
- Once the redness has cleared up, make up can be worn. Avoid oily makeup that will clog pores; natural mineral foundations are best.
- Use SPF30+ sun protection for several days after treatment. This helps to prevent hyperpigmentation.
- Do not use any products containing retinol for at least 5 days after treatment.
- Do not have any exfoliating, abrasive of invasive skin treatments for at least a week.
- If your skin is oily, use products that combat acne to maintain results.
- If you have photoaged skin or fine lines, use products that contain collagen, collagen supplements or follow a collagen-boosting diet.